Friday File: A bid for glory





Michael Woods was part of a seven-rider breakaway on today's seventh stage. He shed the rest of the group but was eventually caught. Woods' effort cost him losing time and eleven spots on GC.






"I had a lot of bad luck this year, but the team trusted me for La Vuelta and that's the best way to thank them. The last 20 kilometres were very complicated, there were small roads, technical descents. I stayed well and I waited for the right moment to return to Herrada and then fight to resist to the end. Winning in front of Valverde and Sagan is significant. I have felt since the beginning of La Vuelta that I have good legs. I lost weight, I trained in the mountains, there is a blow to the general. There is to much to lose and if I explode one day I will try to get another stage victory."
- Tony Gallopin




Stage 7
1. Tony Gallopin 4:18:20
2. Peter Sagan +0:05
3. Alejandro Valverde st
80. Michael Woods +8:07


GC
1. Rudy Molard  26:44:40
2. Alejandro Valverde +0:47
3. Emanuel Buchmann +0:48
50. Michael Woods +16:27



Remembering...

Laurent Fignon: 8/12/1960 - 8/31/2010



Comments