Finding strength I didn't know I had

First pro win for Basque rider, Mikel Iturria
photo: Y. Sunada





"To win at La Vuelta, and furthermore close to home and with my family around, is a dream come true. Before I came to the race, when the selection was made, they asked me which stage I'd like to win, and I chose this one. I'm not a cyclist used to winning and to open my record at La Vuelta is a dream. I suffered a lot on the climbs. I was feeling good but I suffered more than usual with the accelerations. 

When I go to the front, Jon Odriozola (team manager) told me: 'Attack with all you got and go the finish?' I listened to him and I opened a nice gap. I gave my all the whole time, pushing to be as fast as possible, finding strength I didn't know I had. I wasn't thinking of the gap, I focused on myself. And I won? I don't have words for this. We'll have to toast with champagne tonight!"
-Mikel Iturria. Euskadi-Murias. Stage 11 winner.






Comments