The attitude was there

 

In the break

Ever since the end of last season, Thibaut Pinot suffered from back pain and after the Tour of the Alps the pain still lingers. Losing twelve minutes on the second stage and just plain bad luck of a flat tire descending on stage three prevented him from staying in the break that went to the end. Can he pull it back together? Or, there maybe doubts for the Giro d'ltalia (May 8-30).


"He had back pain very early in the race, and when it started he was immediately put in trouble. Not because of his condition but because of the pain. We are disappointed tonight, Thibaut is the first. He can't express himself on the bike. Human nature is sometimes formidable but when things go wrong, there is no miracle.

There is nothing wrong with the boys for their attitude. They were combative, they got the job done and they escaped pretty much everyday. You can obviously tell yourself that there is no podium or victory, but the attitude was there and that is also important."

-Philippe Mauduit. DS Groupama-FDJ


"Every morning I was motivated for the breakaway. Today I was in the right timing and had the right legs. I managed to have fun at the start of the race. It felt good not to be in the peloton and to get some fresh air. Then unfortunately I got caught up at some point by my back problems, which made it too painful to force. I'm happy with the first three quarters of my race, but I was missing a quarter. It's nice to have been able to weigh in today, but it's frustrating not to be able to play more, especially when you see that the breakaway goes to the end."

I am scheduled for the Giro but I will only go if I am 100%. At 95% I will not go, that's for sure because it's the most difficult event and I don't want to relive the last Tour de France and the Vuelta."

-Thibaut Pinot


Stage 5 final results 

 

Going out on a high: Simon Yates takes his first win of the season


"I am really happy it was fantastic result, the guys did an amazing job, not just today but all week and we really gelled as a team. They controlled at the start then rode all day and in the final they were fantastic again.

I feel good, now we just need to look after ourselves, try not to get sick, try not to get injured and try to arrive to the Giro d'ltalia in the best possible shape."
-Simon Yates




Comments