A day like a champ

The gregario turned leader

 

"I knew that today, for me, it would be very important to confirm the podium and try to hang on to 2nd place, but what happened was a stupendous stage. My companions and I rode in great fashion, we made the most of it, and in the final, it was magical. The move was not planned. On the descent from San Bernardino, we saw that Team DSM was increasing the pace, and I and Pello Bilbao decided to follow them because we thought getting ahead could be a good strategy. In the end, it turned out to be the winning move. Before Pello was dropped, I thanked him because he had done a fabulous job, and it was especially satisfying to be able to finish it off with the win.

I thought about a thousand things in the last meters before the finish line, all my sacrifices, my training, and all the work done by my teammates. We rode in an exemplary way today. Pello Bilbao in particular did an incredible job and he played a fundamental role in this victory. Today I realised a dream. I think I'm the happiest man in the world!

I also thought that we're doing this in 5 riders left. Who knows what we could do with the whole team. We did a classy ride today. 70% of this win is for Pello. I never won as a 'champion,' but today, yes, I can say I had my day like a champ."

-Damiano Caruso. First Grand Tour win on Stage 20 and secures second place in the GC.

Stage 20 results


Champions: Pello Bilbao (the gregario) leads out Damiano Caruso (the leader)





Comments