AG2R Citroen: winning ways

 


Andrea Vendrame scored a surperb victory on 12th stage of the Giro and was overwhelmed by his stage victory.


"It was good that there were only two of us. I felt good, knew I was the fastest, and it turned out as I expected.

I am very happy. I already tried this in 2019. But then Esteban Chaves won, and not me. I came in second. I also made an attempt last year. But then I couldn't win by taking a bad position. But I trained hard again this year, and now managed to make my dream come true. 

We worked hard to defend his blue mountain jersey (Geoffrey Bouchard). And then in the final we tried to take the stage victory with me. I had marked this stage. But when the four of us go away, Gianluca Brambilla was also there. He is also a fast guy, so I tried to anticipate. 

-Andrea Vendrame AG2R Citroen


"Still, I can live with this second place. Of course I would have preferred to win, but okay: second in a stage of a grand tour. I can say that I have been in this Giro. I am satisfied with my day."

-Chris Hamilton. Team DSM


Stage 12 results




Geoffrey Bouchard is the first Frenchman in Giro history to have the KoMs blue jersey.



Historical Piazza del Campo in Siena, Tuscany (the finish of Strade Bianche) provided the beautiful backdrop to the start of stage 12







Look back: Italo Zilioli finds a path on the Passo dello Stelvio, stage 20 1965 Giro d'ltalia


Comments