Confidence building

The rise of Romain Bardet: On the descent of Passo Giau

 
"I had announced that I was waiting for the cold and the big mountain stages of the Giro to really ride the bike I loved.

EF imposed a big tempo and we ended up at 5-6 at the foot of Passo Giau. After that delayed Bernal left. I couldn't follow him for long, I had to follow it 300m before picking up my pace. I made the climb with Caruso not for in front and I took it on the descent. It was really a very good day. 

Am I second on the stage? Was there no one on the break? It's not bad then... I'm glad, I had a great feeling today."
-Romain Bardet. His reaction when asked after finishing 2nd on stage 16 in Cortina d'Ampezzo.
 

"Romain Bardet can easily finish on the podium at the end of this week."

-Vincent Lavenu. AG2R-Citroen General Manager


Stage 16 results







Guillaume Martin won a brillant solo victory in the 1st Mercan 'Tour Classic Alpes-Maritimes. It's his first win this season showing good form three months after his 6th place in Paris-Nice. The leader of the Cofidis team is gaining confidence within a week of the Criterium du Dauphine, dress rehearsal before the Tour de France. May has been successful for the French squad with 4 wins. Martin joins Christoper Laporte (Tour de Wallonie), Jesus Herrada (Challenge de Mallorca), and Victor Lafay (stage winner at the Giro.

"We had a perfect day! We were never caught out, even on the downhills when teams tried to put the pressure on. We really held the race from start to finish and everyone played their part. In the final climb there was Anthony (Perez) who worked super hard and managed to get to the front. That was enough to make the difference. I am very happy to finally raise my arms with Cofidis!"

-Guillaume Martin

1st Mercan 'Tour Classic Alpes-Maritimes results 




Comments