Victor-y


 

The hour record holder Victor Campenaerts is one of the peloton's hard workers and won the first grand tour stage of his career. The Belgian has not always enjoyed the best of luck at the Giro d'ltalia and totally deserved the win in a two-man sprint at the finish in Gorizia. Team Qhubeka Assos has won three stages, impressive for a team that almost went out of business last year.




"I've been chasing a WorldTour and specially a Grand Tour, stage win for so long; having been four times second, twice third, once fifth, and I've always targeted victories in time trials. I've come so close but I decided to change how I race and focus more aggressively on racing on the road bike and focusing a little less focus on the TT.

I am at my first Grand Tour with another objective and we've already had two victories with the team here. I can't say that I helped Mauro that much in the break but I helped Nizzolo for his victory and now I helped myself to a big victory - what a day! I had big, big help from the whole team especially Max and Wizzy, who was also in the break with me.

For two years we've speaking about Ubuntu in the team - I am because we are -  which is about riding as a team. We cannot go alone, we're stronger as a team together, and the spirit we have in the Giro is building up to an even greater spirit. Our mission as a team is to change lives with bicycles and the Qhubeka Charity, these successes mean that we play our part in changing the world.

I also hope that these victories is great exposure for the team, to keep the team alive for the future. It hasn't been easy to keep it alive and we needed this, so I am just so happy."

-Victor Campenaerts

Stage 15 results




Comments