I didn't expect to finish the race

 

Making it count


The Queen stage was set to be a decisive fight in the GC, with riders tackling 3,980 vertical meters, including two HC climbs. Mark Padun took his first WorldTour win on stage 7 climbing on La Plagne. Jack Haig also put in a strong performance finishing fourth and currently in fifth on GC.

"It's incredible and an incredible moment for me. First of all, it's my first WorldTour victory and on one of the hardest stages of Dauphine when everyone is going so fast. I suffered all week. I didn't expect to finish the race.

I thought I might arrive with the top 20 guys, and when Richie Porte attacked, I tried to close the gap as I had our leader Jack Haig in the group. I saw we had a gap with four riders, and I thought, why not, maybe they will show me on TV for my mother, and I attacked.

Then it was just me and Seb Kuss, and when I saw him drop, I just decided to go full gas to the finish and hope no one would catch me. Thanks to my team that believed in me."

-Mark Padun. He climbed La Plagne (17km @7,4%) in 45 min 14 sec.


"The course was really difficult today, all the climbs were intensely done. It was not the result I was hoping for, but I am moving up the standings so today's results are positive. The differences in the overall standings have widened a little, so I will be able to obtain more freedom from the teams who are in control. I'd like to attack and see where it can lead me."

-Louis Meintjes. 19th place, 18th on GC






Stage 7 results





Look back: Lucho Herrera (winner) in the wheel of 
Laudelino Cubino (2nd overall), 1991 Critérium du Dauphiné.


Comments