71km alone at the front

In the battle: Mas in 3rd, 2nd overall.
 

"I'm really happy about today. It's been a long time since I felt this good on the bike. The team was magnificent today. I don't feel like I had Roglic on my knees. We were full-gas, both of us, and even if my turns were stronger, I think it was down to the fact that I needed to put a gap on my rivals. He's the race leader, he doesn't have to pull with me, yet he still cooperated, and it was good for both of us. I'm happy to have been, at least, on par with Roglic over that climb. We didn't knock Roglic out today, but we will try for the remainder of the race."

-Enric Mas


"71km alone at the front, it's a lot! I'm so happy. I know it was a lot, but I knew Ineos was doing a really hard tempo. So I said okay before they catch me I'll try to do a breakaway, maybe alone. I didn't expect the gap to be bigger, but km by km it did... I still can't believe what I've done. 

It's an amazing feeling and a repeat after my feeling in the Giro. For me it's incredible. The last climb was so long, and I just wanted to keep focussed on my tempo, and in the last 2km I realized I could win the day."

-Daminao Caruso







Stage 9 Results





Look back: 1978 Vuelta a Espana


Comments