Binissimo

 

Superstar!


An inspirational day for African cycling! 

iniam Girmay survived the last climbs, took a wrong turn then got it right to sprint with 300m to go, a truly outstanding victory. During his podium celebrations, he was struck in the eye with the cork while opening the bottle of Prosecco and taken to hospital. Hopefully, he can start tomorrow's stage and fight for the points jersey. The Intermarche Wanty Gobert team will make an official announcement in the morning.

"We came to this Giro with the aim to win a stage, knowing that if I succeeded, I would enter cycling history. After several top-five finishes, I became the first black African to win a Grand Tour stage! I'm so grateful for the support of my teammates, the staff, my family, all people encouraging me! They are there for me every day, this victory belongs to them. 

My teammates all rode in the front for me. Barnabas Peak, Loic Vliegen, Aime De Gendt, Rein Taaramae, Lorenzo Rota and even our GC riders Jan Hurt and Domenico Pozzovivo gave everything to give me the opportunity to take this win. In the final 600 meter, Domenico shouted that I had to follow him. He launched me perfectly. This victory makes me so happy!"

-Biniam Girmay


Pozzovivo: The unexpected lead out man


"During the stage, I spoke to him and tried to keep him calm, and then in the finale I told him to follow me on the climb. When you're working like a star talent like Biniam, it's only right that the whole team works for him and I think we did an exceptional job, like a really great team."

-Domenico Pozzovivo

This gesture tells it all


A fine day in Filottrano to celebrate Michele Scarponi.




UPDATE from Intermarche Wanty Gobert Cycling...


The hero is here. Bini has returned to celebrate his historic victory with his teammates.


UPDATE 5/18: “I was a bit sad about what happened, but when I came back to the hotel, the team was super happy for me. Today I did not start the race because my eyes need some rest to give more power to the eye. Now I am looking forward to the next races in the season. I am OK now.”

-Biniam Girmay




Comments