Getting closer and Hirt Locker




Today's queen stage from Salo to Aprica was a long monster, 202 km long with 5,250 metres of elevation gain and challenging technical descents. 

"On the second to last climb Bahrain Victorious took control in the reduced peloton and the pace became faster and faster, especially over the last kilometres of the climb. I felt really good at that point and tried to launch a few attacks, but in the end it wasn't possible to shake off Carapaz and Landa. Overall it was a good day, I gained four bonus seconds and now I'm only three seconds behind Carapaz in the GC."

-Jai Hindley

"The last climb... I did all I could, but in the final it was just too much for me, so I tried to continue on my own rhythm until the end. Let's see how the next stages will turn out."

-Vincenzo Nibali. 9th place.

"I've had a few problems during the stage. My chain dropped, I cramped... but I never gave up. I always said that my biggest achievement would be to win a stage at the Giro and I could stop after that but I won't stop now."

-Jan Hirt. Stage 16 winner.

"I had the desire but not the strength. I was not at my level today. Try to raise my head and why not aim for a stage if I get a chance."

-Guillaume Martin. 27th place.






Look back: Urs Zimmermann, Gavia 1988 Giro d'ltalia



Comments