You've got this take it easy man.

Knocking on heavens door
 

Hugo Houle described his win on stage 16 with "unbelievable."

It was emphatic and emotional as he raised his arm in the air pointing to the sky, dedicating the win to Pierrik, his brother who was killed by a drunk driver ten years ago. 

"I could not believe it when I crossed the line. I was just so happy. It was what I have been dreaming of for the past ten years. This one is for my brother," said Houle.

The workhorse scored a third place on stage 13 and had the strength as he worked his way into the breakaway with teammate Mike Woods. His resilience was clear as he attacked with 40 kilometers to go at the foot of the final climb, the Mur de Péguere.

"When I attacked it was basically to set the table for Mike Woods and when I saw that they let me go, Mike made a gap, I just went all in. I mean I was strong and everything went smoothly. I said 'Ok I am really tired but if I go up the road then it's easier for Mike'. Nobody wanted to commit and the gap was 40 seconds, then 30 seconds. And then it was just a time trial to the end, all or nothing.

I knew that if I got to the top with 30 or 40 seconds, maybe I could do it. It was tight. I knew I was going to do it. I had one dream: to win a stage for my brother who died when I turned professional. Today I won it for him. I worked hard for ten years and today I got the win for him.

We have more and more Canadians on the WorldTour thanks to our team and Premier Tech. We're working to have the next generation. I'm happy to win for the Canadians and also, I had Steve Bauer in the car on the radio telling us to 'enjoy, boys, enjoy'. I was still going full gas and he said 'you've got this take it easy man'. 

It was nice to have the time to enjoy. I hope there will be more Canadians to win faster than 34 years."

-Hugo Houle. Becomes the first Canadian since Steve Bauer to win a stage in the Tour in 34 years.


A Canadian 1-3: Mike Woods (third) on stage 16 and stage winner Hugo Houle


"He's a hard worker for his teammates but has shown what a special rider he truly is at this Tour. He almost won a few days ago, so he made sure to win today with his courageous ride. This is the first Canadian Tour win since Steve Bauer, who was guiding Hugo in the car. I love this team."

-Sylvan Adams. IPT co-owner.


Steve Bauer (new DS for IPT). 

"It's incredible to see. What a top pro Hugo has been. He studies the plan, he organises himself well, and to have such a performance like that today is superb. He rode smart, he rode strong, and deserves it all. I'm super happy I got the chance to follow the break with our two Canucks. They trust my voice over the radio, and I gave them the best information I could. 

To win one is great. I only won one in the Tour and I know that it feels great. It's been a long time coming for Hugo and I always knew he could do it. Today was his day. Michael was in there and with the final climbs on the stage, we were gaming for him in particular because of the final steep Mur. Hugo was strong and the other day was in the break and he's in top shape. That's what it takes and then he can do great things"
-Stever Bauer. DS IPT.


Bauer Power: Wearing the combination jersey, won Stage 1 and wore the yellow jersey for four days, fourth overall 
1988 Tour de France





Comments