Biniam Girmay: rainbow hunter

 

Star power growing

Silver medalist at the last U23 World Championships in Leuven, Biniam Girmay will start the elite men's road race with favorite status. This year the Eritrean won Gent Wevelgem, a stage on the Giro and several podiums; second place at the Grand Prix Wallonie and third in the GP du Quebec.

 

The World Championship is the meeting of the year, I focus on it as much as on all the other races in which I participate. I ran a lot of similar races on the WorldTour, like in Canada, but my trainer made me train for five to seven hours on several occasions.

Favorite status gives me a boost, but of course there is a downside. I can't do anything anymore without everyone looking at me. We are six in the team. Only it is not up to us to control the race. I think we need to take a bit more of a tactical approach like last year in Leuven. 

If we end up with one or two riders in the final, we have to make the right choices. Natale Tesfatsion, Amanuel Ghebreigzabhier and Henok Mulubrhan have already proven that they can handle a long race. I expect them to be able to support me until the last two laps, to shelter me from the wind and to take me up front occasionally. It will be perfect. After that, I decide. 

I don't think there is one favorite. There are others. Van Aert I put him in the first row. Michael Matthew has a race that suits him. And Mathieu van der Poel is there too. These types of riders are favorites everywhere. 

After 270 kilometres, it's not about fast legs that make the difference. It's all about who is the freshest. I can't say right now.

-Biniam Girmay 




Comments