Spanish wunderkind Ayuso

Star in the making? I think so.

Juan Ayuso, the 19-year-old Spaniard racing in his debut Grand Tour with the help of his UAE Team Emirates teammates put in a blistering ride to take third place on Stage 20 from Moralzarzal to Puerto de Navacerrada. Joao Almeida jumped into the top 5 on GC and the team also brings home overall in the teams' classification.

"The podium in my first grand tour at 19 years of age. It's incredible, I cannot believe it. I took this Vuelta on day by day without any huge expectations and just focusing on getting through it and doing my best. To finish on the podium is something incredible and now it's time to enjoy it with my team, family, and friends. We tried to go for the stage again today but just fell short, though Joao managed to gain time to move up also so all things considered we are pleased as a squad."

-Juan Ayuso. Third on Stage 20, third on GC. The former 'Baby Giro' winner had never competed in a race longer than 10 days before he was called up to race his home grand tour this summer.

"It's spectacular to win this jersey. I saw a lot of Ecuadorians cheering for me on the roads."

-Richard Carapaz. Winner: Stage 20 and KOMs Classification

 

UAE tandem: Joao Almeida and Juan Ayuso


Carapaz: 3-peat

Comments