Magnus Cort: One of the hardest stages I’ve ever done on a bike




Stage 10 challenged the riders on a hilly route from Scandiano to Viareggio on the Italian west coast. The stage featured one cat 2 and one cat 4 climb. The peloton started today's stage under wet and chilly conditions in unusually cold temperatures.

Riders such as Rigoberto Uran, Stefan Kung, Remco Evenepoel, and Domenico Pozzovivo did not start today's stage after testing positive for Covid-19.
Magnus Cort (EF Education Easypost) launched a successful attack with 175kms left. He was later joined by Davide Bais, Derek Gee and Alessandro di Marchi.

The wet descents also caused multiple crashes. Some crashed in wet corners, others crashed while taking off their rain jackets, yet others crashed while hitting service personnel and sports directors that were helping other crashed riders on the roadsides.

In the final kilometer, there was only three from the breakaway. Gee attacked, Di Marchi lacked the power and Cort was the fastest man in the sprint and won stage 10 beautifully for his EF Education Easypost team.

"I'm incredibly happy with this victory. For me it's important to do it today because today was one of the hardest stages I've ever done on a bike. The cold wind made me confused during the stage and I almost didn't know what was going on. My radio wasn't working. It was a big fight to get in the breakaway. In the breakaway we didn't have any other choice than to keep pushing on and it worked in the end when the sprinter teams broke and stopped chasing."
-Magnus Cort

Another second place for Canadian neo-pro Derek Gee. Surely a stage win is upcoming!

"To be honest, this one hurts a little more (than the last second place) as I could really see the victory right there. I knew that Cort was faster than me and that I shouldn't go up against him head-to-head. I tried a late attack but ultimately, I ended in a sprint against him anyway. The Giro is still long but I will try not to think about that right now as my legs really hurt after today!"
-Derek Gee


Comments