Realini’s first, Grande Partenza

 


Gaia Realini showed a powerful sprint going head to head with the world champion Annemiek van Vleuten on stage 6 and won the sprint to the line. The twenty-one-year-old took the thrilling two-up sprint to take her first UCI WorldTour win of her career.

"When Annemiek attacked, there was no cooperation to follow her so I knew I needed to bridge across to her. It was now or never moment if I wanted to fight for the stage win. I just followed, followed, followed and stayed on her wheel.

The moment after the finish was hectic. First, they give the win to me, then to her and then, finally, to me. Of course, it was not easy but I was ready to accept the decision of the jury and I wouldn't have been too disappointed if Annemiek was the winner. I was just really happy with how I raced but, of course, I'm even happier to have taken the win."

-Gaia Realini






Comments