Tour de Suisse: Riccitello climbs into the white jersey

 


The 22-year-old American climber, Matthew Riccitello rode his best WorldTour stage result of fourth to leap up to fifth place on GC, and lead in the best young rider classification. Riccitello croseed the line 18 seconds behind winner Adam Yates, and sits just four seconds off fourth on GC and leads with a 24-seconds in the under-23 classification.

“I knew I had good legs coming into the race and every race I do, I am always pretty ambitious and eager to get a result. It suited me a bit more than the shallow, faster finishing climb yesterday, and also the stage being pretty hard from the start helped me a bit. I do a bit better when everyone has some fatigue in the legs. I went as quickly as I could at the top. I’m a bit bummed that Bernal came by me at the end but it was a good race and still happy with the result. We have lots of more climbing to com. I just want to keep going the way I have been going and it will be a good race.”

-Matthew Riccitello





Comments