TDF Stage 19: Isola 2000 Gee Rises & Carapaz KoMs

 


“Today was brutal. I thought today was going to be the hardest stage for me in the race. I’m a bigger guy, and we had to do multiple long climbs at high altitude, but I’m really happy with how my legs were today. 

I was hurting over the top of Bonette, but luckily the legs felt really good on the last climb. I was with the front guys for longer than I expected in the altitude. It’s a weird feeling because you feel like you have good legs, and then suddenly it’s just light out. Then it’s a real mental struggle just to get to the finish line. We did an altitude training camp here before the Tour, so I knew the roads well and always knew exactly how far I had to go on the final climb. 

I’m happy I moved up in the GC, and I really hope I can keep my Top 10 position. As soon as I crossed the line, I was already thinking about tomorrow’s big mountain stage, which is another daunting task. But we are getting closer every day, and I just hope to have good legs again tomorrow.”

-Derek Gee. His performance saw him consolidate his Top 10 position in the GC, sitting in eighth place ahead of the final two stages of the Tour de France this weekend.

“We originally just wanted to be in the break for Jonas as satellite riders. And then we got the call that we should switch and go for the stage. I feel like this Tour de France and me have a pretty bad relationship with coming close on stages. I feel like I give my best it just hasn’t come yet.

I had a bad feeling. When he passed me, I knew even if I stayed in his wheel, he would beat me. So, yeah, it’s just disappointing for the moment.

-Matteo Jorgenson

Cime de la Bonette
Photo: Seb Piquet





"This mountain jersey is a prestigious prize. All rider in my country dream of it because in Ecuador there are many mountains. Being the King of the Mountains means a lot to me. I'm going to try to keep this jersey until the end. It is my great personal goal, and the team is also supporting me a lot to achieve it."
-Richard Carapaz. The Locomotive secured his lead in the KoMs completion at the summit of the Cime de la Bonette and held on to finish fourth on the stage at the summit of Isola 2000.

Look back: Robert Millar (now Philipa York) won the KoMs competition, 1984 Tour de France.




Comments