La Vuelta stage 11 Dunbar powers to his first grand tour stage

 

Celebration!

Photos Kristof Ramon

Eddie Dunbar rode to an emotional victory on stage 11 of the Vuelta a Espana, with a late attack from a breakaway into Padron to claim his first-ever Grand Tour stage win.


"It's weird how it goes sometimes. I had a really bad start to to the race, and I lost a lot of time. I came here to ride GC and I learned pretty quick that I didn't have the legs to do it. My preparation was really good coming into here so it was a case of reassessing and going for a stage, and today an opportunity came that I didn't expect. I tried hard to get into the break and I thought that was my legs gone and then all of a sudden the big group went. I was suffering a bit on that last climb but then I realised that everybody else was. I gambled and backed my finish. I know on a finish like this, after a hard race, I can sprint, but I knew I had to go long. Going at 600m was a bit long for a sprint but I knew that's what I had to do to win. I can't believe it."

-Eddie Dunbar


Comments