La Vuelta Stage 9: I knew I was the strongest



Stage 9 was one of the queen stages of this Vuelta a Espana: three major ascents from Motril to Granada, a total elevation of 4,370m. On the eve of the first rest day, Adam Yates gave UAE Team Emirates, with the withdrawal of Joao Almeida with COVID, a mighty victory winning alone in Granada. He was the strongest over the summits of the Sierra Nevada, his second Grand Tour victory after stage 1 of the Tour de France 2023. Yates soars 20 slots to seventh overall.

"Honestly, I don't give a shit about GC. I'm just happy I could finally win another Grand Tour stage. From the last climb, I was cramping full. It was so hot out there."
-Adam Yates 
 

Richard Carapaz finished 2nd after an impressive attack as well, setting off from the GC group with 90kms to go, 
to move up to 3rd spot in the overall. 

"I knew it was going to be a tough day. I felt good today. We had to play our cards early because I was obviously far up the GC. I tried and in the end it worked out really well. Fantastic to end it like this with a second place. I already knew it would be difficult, but I trusted in my preparation and my training. I had to be patient and that's what I did today. It went well, and when I attacked I knew I was the strongest. We have done a fantastic job and I will see where I end up. There are still many tough stages to come."
-Richard Carapaz
 



Comments