GP Cycliste de Québec: A thrilling final


After sixteen laps of the Grand Prix Cycliste de Québec, including the Cote des Glacis and the Cote de la Montagne climbs resulted in the uphill sprint as Biniam Girmay climbed to second place behind Michael Matthews, improving his previous result of third place in 2022.

"It was a particularly difficult edition, harder than the previous two. But I always felt supported by my team, who did a huge amount of work all day. From the start, we controlled the race. In the last two laps, I really suffered with the pace of UAE, but I didn't panic and kept my rhythm so I wasn't in the red. I think I maneuvered well in the last 500 meters to gain places, Matthews was the fastest today. I'm happy to reward my team with a nice podium."
-Biniam Girmay

"It means much more than I can put into words. Coming back here, a race that I know really well, to win my third Québec against what I think is probably the strongest field here was one of the most special for sure. My grandma passed away and  two days ago here in Québec I watched her funeral live. This gave me extra motivation and makes this victory so special. If I didn't win, then what was the point in being so far away from my family during this difficult time."
-Michael Matthews


 

Final podium: Michael Matthews, Biniam Girmay, Rudy Molard





Comments