Hamburg Classic: Girmay, Woods to GP Montréal


Rush hour in Hamburg

Biniam Girmay rode to third at the BEMER Cyclassics Hamburg (Sept8) in Germany's only World Tour race. Girmay was placed well at the summit of the final climb of the Waseberg heading towards Hamburg for the sprint. In his first participation, the Eritrean rider finished third behind Olav Kooij and Jonathan Milan with teammate Mike Teunissen in eighth.

"The BEMER Cyclassics is a race that suits me perfectly, designed for sprinters with a fairly tough finish. I tried to weave my way through to position myself well for the sprint, but I hit a barrier in the final kilometer. Because of that, I fell back and lost speed, a gap I had to make up in addition to my sprint. I'm happy to be on the podium again in Germany, it's the second time I've raced here this season after the Rund um Koln. It's amazing to see so many supporters come from all over the world to support us, me and my team. It motivates us enormously. I haven't raised my arms in Germany yet, I intend to come back until I do."
-Biniam Girmay










Canadian Champ Mike Woods will line up this Sunday at Grand Prix Cyciste de Montréal

"I'm really excited to be racing in Montréal, particularly in the Canadian jersey. It's a dream to race Montréal with the national champ's jersey. It's a race I first became aware of when I got into cycling and it's almost a home race for me because Ottawa is so close. I have friends who ride to the race from Ottawa every year so it's such a special race for me. To have that jersey in that race is going to be super cool."
-Mike Woods


Comments