TdFF: Queen of Ventoux, TdP: stage 5, Vuelta a Burgos: Brennan strikes gold again

 

The road to Mont Ventoux


Stage 7 of the Tour de France Femmes with it’s historic finish up the Giant of Provence, the Mont Ventoux lived up to expectations and more as Kasia Niewiadoma-Phinney attacked her podium rivals with 9.5km remaining to win the stage and into yellow. 

The Pole devilishly attacked and steadily increased her lead, crossing the finish line 1:16 minutes ahead of Demi Vollering, who left GC leader Marlen Reusser behind in the last kilometre. Elisa Longo Borghinni also pushed past Reusser to finish third, 1:42 minutes down.  








“Our plan was to watch our rivals or fight in the sprint. I knew everyone was waiting for my attack, so I waited patiently. When I saw the other’s suffering, I made my move even though my back was hurting badly from yesterday’s crash. In the final meters, I controlled to group and saved energy for the final sprint  which brought the win. Today’s dynamic profile suited me very well. We came here with a four-rider squad, so there is no pressure on us. I already have a stage win and a good GC position, so I’m approaching the coming days with calm and without pressure.”
-Jan Christen




After yesterday’s tough mountain stage, it was time for the sprinters on Stage 4. Although the rolling terrain meant it was far from an easy day, an early breakaway of three riders got away, but the peloton kept  the situation under control and brought them back before the finale.
Matthew Brennan struck gold again, the Brit won Stage 4 into Briviesca after an exciting bunch sprint, taking his second victory of the race. 

“I was slowly roasting from the inside out. I’m glad I could finish it off in the end because it was a tough day in the heat. It felt like we were riding through a desert all day.”
-Matthew Brennan




Comments