Friday File: The Road To Mont Blanc, Homage To Pinarello, Rising Star: Hugo Houle & La Vuelta Heats Up

via mavic.com




Friday File ... and it opens with inspiration in the form of British cyclist, Mavic ambassador Mike Cotty tackling, on August 4th, a challenge that mere mortals would probably shirk at. I find mountains both as breathtaking to look at and a privilege to ride up. I can't fathom what it would be like scaling 21 mountains with 21,000 metres of climbing, 1000 kms non-stop from Conegliano, Italy to Chamonix, France ...but I find a special comfort knowing that it can be done. As a rider, I can fully appreciate Mike Cotty's epic ride able to go to his own extreme limits. That's why we all ride.

Read the excellent and inspirational full story here.

















My first inspiration to ride mountains ...watching the climbers of the 1983 Tour.







RIP Giovanni Pinarello




Giovanni Pinarello founder of the iconic bicycle company passed away on Thursday evening at 92. My memory of one of Italy's last great frame builders was my visit to his small Trevsio shop in 1984. Back then he was well known to make marvelous steel frames and I had the chance to drop in whilst visiting Italy. I remember his generous hospitality, although he didn't speak English, he let me freely photograph in his small factory.  Story and pics here. At that time I was racing and I gave him a Velocity racing club cycling cap/bottle and he graciously gave me a team Metaumobilli - Pinarello sticker, bottle and t-shirt. Was I ever happy. Thank you Giovanni Pinarello.




photo Cycling Art





One of my all time favorite jerseys that I still own.
photo Cycling Art






Rising WorldTour Star: Hugo Houle...

Hugo Houle, 23 years old Québecois, is learning the tricks of the trade with AG2R La Mondiale. He is currently riding the Tour of Alberta and here's an insightful story here.





La Vuelta is heating up, some stages reaching 40C. So what do most teams do to offer cooling relief?


Ice bath.
photos BrakeThroughMedia




Have a great Friday!


Comments