Everybody was dead tired

 



The Queen stage 17 was a day of suffering and human feats as Superman Lopez took the honors on top of the newly minted and highest point of the race, Col de la Loze.


"It was one of the hardest days of my life. I was behind, I suffered a lot. But it's a day that will teach us. It's never too late to learn."
- Nairo Quintana. 46th on the stage, 15th @ 30'51" on GC.



"Maybe the altitude was taking it's toll, too, but it's just down to the rivals being stronger. The pace during the entire Tour, always full gas, pays in finishes like this one. It's been a brutal race and all that wear and tear, as we enter the third week, creates these gaps by itself. We finished one by one, and everybody was dead tired. There's another great stage to see more time gaps tomorrow and Lopez has shown the Slovenians are not unbeatable. It will be another crucial day tomorrow."
- Enric Mas.  6th place, 8th @ 4'18" on GC. 


Bryan Coquard finishes the grueling  stage last and more than 35 minutes. but still alive. 


"I tried to stay with him on the last pass but I couldn't. I knew that I could not get back on time with the very high percentages. I saw Lopez's arrival on a giant screen when I had nine kilometers left. In the end, we had the choice to save Bryan or me, the choice was quickly made. 
Next Tuesday, there is the Belgian Championship then the Classics. The season is not over and I hope to give my maximum for the team. "
- Jens Debusschere.






Comments