Some grinta left in the tank

 



Despite the injuries, struggles and age, Domenico Pozzovivo (39) and Vincenzo Nibali (37) are giving the tifosi reason to cheer. Going into the second week Italian riders have yet to win a stage in this year's Giro d'ltalia. Blockhaus was a rousing stage for the two aging war horses.


"I'm very satisfied with this sixth place! This is encouraging for me, be because the past five years I have really struggled with some problems that almost cost me my career. This morning, I imagined finishing among the ten best riders but in the end, my result exceeds my expectations. The race scenario was perfect for me, we raced on our limits until the final kilometer. Thanks to his performance I am again one step closer to my main goal which is a top ten in the final classification. 

We were leading in the team classification after eight race days, a new experience for the team in a Grand Tour, and we showed that we perform strong collectively in the mountains with four riders in the peloton of favorites halfway through the final climb. In 2022 we continue to break records and I'm determined to contribute to this!"

-Domenico Pozzovivo. Eighth on GC


"Today was truly difficult. I was really struggling but I was able to stay close, so that's encouraging. We know the GC is going to be complicated, but today was an important test. We know the Giro is long. 

It's great to see Domenico up there as well today. We are both professionals, and we are determined to give our best right to the end. He's doing that and so am I. But neither Domenico nor myself are forever, so we are also hoping that there are some young riders coming up to take our place."

-Vincenzo Nibali. Thirteenth on GC.


I'm cheering for the Shark of Messina and the Flea from Policoro!








Bardet rising: third on GC




Comments